I get that you have to be disciplined if you want to see results and make long term changes. I get that you have to make smart choices and try to avoid temptation. I get that the more often you make good choices the better your results will be. But honestly, I see some people take things to such an extreme in depriving themselves. These are the people that I envision are one “no thank you, I’m watching what I’m eating” away from sitting in the corner in the dark binging on a sleeve of girls scout thin mints and a 5 pound jar of cheese balls with powder cheese all over their fingers.
So, because I allow myself to cheat so I don’t end up like THAT person, here are my top 5 indulgences:
- Iced Chai Latte – this is a recent phenomenon, not sure where it came from. but I could drink 10 of these a day. YUMMMO!
- Shrimp/Crawfish Etouffee – What a warm and delicious southern/cajun comfort meal. The butter. OH THE BUTTER!! I’m not sure many people realize how much butter is in this dish. Throw it on a bed of white rice and scoop it up with some garlic bread…TO. DIE. FOR.
- Sausage Biscuits and Gravy – This is another southern thing. I never knew what white gravy was before I moved to Texas from California. But, LET ME TELL YOU. Soft fluffy biscuits topped with gravy made from the sausage drippings…throw in a side of hash browns and I could just cry.
- Guacamole – I’m not sure if there’s much difference between west coast (California) and “tex-mex” guacamole, but I can eat a TON of this stuff. And while they say avocados are heart healthy because of the healthy fat in them, I don’t think the serving size recommended would EVER satisfy a craving for this deliciousness. Not to mention the fact that you have to eat it on something, tortilla chips most likely, making it even more sinful. Although, I’ve been known to grill a portabella mushroom cap and smear it with guac and hotsauce…pretty tasty and healthy…but by and large, the most enjoyable ways to eat this will derail any diet.
- Fruity Liquor Drinks – Pina Coladas, Mai tais, rum punch, margaritas, mimosas, etc., etc., etc. I couldn’t pick just one. They’re so delicious. And so sugary. Diabetes in a glass.