I love vacations…but who doesn’t. The most recent adventure was a 7 night cruise that visited Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. It was the first cruise I’ve ever been on and can I PLEASE tell you that I absolutely LOVED it and it will definitely not be my last!
But vacations are not something that people should just dream about. People should make it a point to go on vacations, as often as possible. And here’s why:
- Vacations Can Relieve Stress – This one really needs no explanation. Taking a break from work, even for a couple days at a time, will help alleviate the constant exposure to triggers that may lead to high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. On my cruise I would just sit at the front of the boat and watch the open water and breathe in. It was so incredibly peaceful and relaxing. I’m so glad I snapped a photo so that I can go back to that state of mind if I ever feel the stress and anxiety come on.
- Vacations Can Help You Lose Weight – Believe it or not, going on vacation does not always mean you have to gain weight! Often times people are more active on vacations than when they are sitting all day at their desks being sedentary. While it may be true that people tend to eat more, indulge, and even overeat on vacations, many times these extra calories are burned off by all the extra activities and adventures. I ate a TON on the ship…there’s a never ending food supply! And it was DELICIOUS. But I also did things like zip-lining, snorkeling and hiking. And the ship had an amazing fitness center! Yes. I visited it…AND worked out…HONEST!!
- Vacations Can Help You Become More Productive – Several studies have been done with regards to children and recess having increased productivity levels in those children that were exposed to more breaks and playtime. The same concept is true for adults. Giving the mind and body a rest from the routine helps you come back refreshed and invigorated, ready to take on the world.
- Vacations Can Help Improve relationships – Spending some quality time with your loved ones and family members away from your normal environment can help bring people closer together. Being away from the stress and chaos of your everyday life can relieve some of the tension that builds up over time making and make it hard to truly enjoy the people you love.
- Vacations Can Help You Broaden Your Insight and Perspective – Going new places and having new experiences opens your mind to new cultures and ideas which could, in turn, lead to more creative on the job thinking and increased workplace performance. I’m not sure if zip-lining will give me any great and innovative ideas in the workplace, but it was a new experience nonetheless. One that left me with a battle wound to remember the experience for as long as it stays. Will I ever do it again? Maybe. Maybe not. If I find a baby course I might think about it.
It’s not always easy to set aside funds to go and enjoy yourself when you have so many other things to pay for. Houses, college savings, medical bills…the list goes on and on. But I made the decision a few years ago that vacations are something I owed not only to myself, but to my daughter. She deserved to have a mom that enjoyed herself and wasn’t stressed all the time and that took the time to relax and show her new and amazing things.